CannTrust Inc. (“the Company”) will support the accommodation of employees and job applicants who require workplace accommodation under any of the grounds described in the Ontario Human Rights Code. Currently, discrimination in employment is prohibited on the following grounds:
- Ethnic origin
- Place of origin
- Family status
- Marital status
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Record of offenses
- Sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding)
- Sexual orientation
The Company will work to achieve a workplace free of barriers by providing accommodation for the needs of individuals based on a protected ground, up to the point where it causes undue hardship for the Company.
The Company has adopted this policy to ensure that our employees and job applicants are provided with meaningful employment with our organization and to align with our commitment to ensuring a discrimination free workplace.
The approach taken by the Company in the provision of reasonable accommodation shall include:
- Personalize plans designed to meet the specific needs of individuals
- Collaborative practices in the creation and implementation of accommodation plans through consultation of all relevant stakeholders, the person to be accommodated and medical professionals (where applicable)
- Ensuring confidentiality, to the extent appropriate in the circumstances and as required by law, and the dignity of the individual seeking accommodation.
- Employee requesting accommodation must comply with all other relevant company policies throughout their accommodation request.
- If an employee request accommodation in the form of time-off from work, they are expected to provide as much notice as possible to their manager and a member of the HR team for this request.
Duty to Accommodate
The Company will work to ensure that individuals who require accommodation based on a protected ground are able to work effectively, by making adjustments or modifications to the work, or the work environment, up the point of undue hardship. The Company will work with the individual that request accommodation in an effort to ensure that the measures taken are reasonable and effective and determined based on consultation between impacted parties.
Accommodation shall be provided for individuals when they require that the work be modified or adjusted to address the needs of the individual, based on a protected grounds of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation.
The Company will provide reasonable accommodation as appropriate, using a collaborative approach that involves the Company, the individual, and as appropriate, any applicable representatives, healthcare professionals (where applicable), and other third parties that are required to assist in the accommodation process. All parties are expected to work together to determine the most appropriate form(s) of accommodation to meet the needs of the individual.
Accommodations may be temporary, or permanent, based on the requirements of the individual and his/her job.
The process of accommodating individuals is a shared obligation of both CannTrust and the employee:
- It is the responsibility of the employee requiring accommodation to make the accommodation request and cooperate throughout the accommodation process.
- The Company will initiate the consultative accommodation analysis process promptly after receiving the employee’s request and determine what, if any, reasonable accommodation can be provided.
- With respect to work-related injuries and worker re-integration to regular job duties, it is the responsibility of the employee to participate in the modified duty program.
Creating Accommodation Plans
The Company shall create an accommodation plan and attempt to determine methods of achieving the requirement for success in the position in alternative manners.
In the creation of the accommodation plan, the Company shall:
- Identify the need for accommodation.
- Determine objectives for performance and/or job requirements, key outputs and key objectives for the role, as well as potential barriers
- Create a plan for achieving the objectives in an alternative manner.
- Examine the options for accommodation, and select the most appropriate avenue
- Implement the accommodation process
- Provide training as appropriate
- Review and revise based on feedback.
Employees are encouraged to notify Human Resources at any time if they have concerns about the accommodation process or implementation of the accommodation plan.
Accommodating Job Applicants
The Company will meet all legislative requirements in providing accommodation to job applicants as well as employees.
Any applicant to CannTrust that communicates the need to accommodation shall have the request considered in a manner that is non-discriminatory, and respectful of our human rights obligations as well as our obligations under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disability Act.
The Company shall work to provide workplace accommodation up the point of undue hardship. Undue hardship may occur where it is established that no form of reasonable accommodation exists, or where accommodation cannot be provided short of undue hardship to CannTrust.
If any clarification or additional information is required, please contact Human Resources or your immediate supervisor to arrange a training session.
The Company encourages individuals to make any needs for accommodation known to Human Resources, and to work cooperatively with the Company throughout the accommodation assessment and process.
To request accommodation or to discuss this policy, please contact Human Resources via email (HR@canntrust.ca), or in person at the Langstaff office (3280 Langstaff Road, Building #1, Vaughan, ON, L4K 5B6).